Friday, November 8, 2013

Soulful Stash

I upcylced this blog post from another project but thought it would be a little tide over until I can get myself organized for a podcast, sheesh or should I say, sheep...you would think livingin the north woods of Maine there would be plenty of time but alas, as usual there is not...but all the same enjoy this little commentary and brief glimpse in to my daydream place.


My introduction to and fascination with fiber is rooted strongly in the sheep, deep in the wool and resides on a farm, a farm on and island in the North Sea.

Prior to finding myself at Fersness Farm, Eday Orkney Scotland, I'd never given knitting or spinning much thought. And I would never call myself a fiber artist. I do not create patterns or seek new techniques. I did not come to knitting by way of yarn or the longing to create beautiful garments. I came to the craft of knitting…cold off the lambing hill, though the mist and damp, tired and slightly bereft. I came to the craft of knitting…carrying chilled lambs, smeared with manure, and high with the miracle of healthy, spry triplets. When I knit or spin this is where I go. I go back to the heather hill, to long nights, well deserved naps and hot steaming mugs of tea.
Moving Sheep on Pharay
I recently discovered that the fiber in my life is a connection to time and place, not process, beauty or community. They are added bonuses but not what I seek when I pick up the string and sticks. No, the string is memory, I can feel it.

As I suss out this interesting epiphany, I realize that process, the sheep, the landscape encompasse the heart of the craft, the soul of the medium…it is where is all begins. When we visit the farm, the shepherd or shepherdess, we are at the heart of our craft. When we select the yarn we touch the soul, the essence of hard work, pride, death, birth,…the cycle. I have become quite particular over the past year as to what yarn I purchase, not for any other reason than I want to connect with the heart and soul of my craft. I want to pick up my project and feel the farm; every stitch I take I want to have soul. 

What soul do you have in your stash? What yarns/spinning fibers do you really connect with?
Enjoy a glimpse into my soulful stash!

Else Wool Cormo Fingering Weight…Winnowing Shawl by Bristol Ivy

SeaColors Meadowcroft Farm, TBD.
Starcroft Yarn Nash Island Sheep, Lambswool Fog…TBD
North Ronaldsy Aran Weight The Wool ShedBellevue Robin Melanson

Hope Spinnery, windspun yarn from local Maine farms…TBD

No comments:

Post a Comment